The Board Practice brings together our most Senior Partners globally, who work with Boards to appoint Non-Executive Directors and evaluate Board effectiveness. We offer the following services to support our clients:
h3. NON- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SEARCH
In today’s turbulent times, the effectiveness of Boards is paramount in order to gain competitive advantage. In addition, with governance and diversity becoming increasingly important, the challenge is to attract candidates who are both qualified to serve on public company boards and able to bring skills and experience that add value in different ways.
The members of the AltoPartners’ Board Practice, through their many years of experience operating at Board-level, have developed extensive networks and contacts that enable them to identify candidates who meet the new diversity criteria, as well as experienced Board members. The particularly impressive track record of our American partners in DiversifiedSearch greatly enhances our capability in global board searches.
h3. BOARD EFFECTIVENESS
Diverse board membership and adherence to governance guidelines is not enough to ensure superior Board performance. Board processes and the quality of relationships between Directors are also key factors. We have developed a robust model for gathering data to evaluate Board effectiveness and to form a solid basis for planning systematic Board development initiatives.
The underlying methodology relies on in-depth discussions with each Director to gain their input on a series of topics that have been identified as critical to Board effectiveness. This is a challenging process and provides a thorough review of the most important issues. It adds significantly more value than the ‘tick box’ approach which satisfies governance requirements, but does not impact the way the Board actually functions. The resulting review is supported by specific recommendations that can help the Chair improve the performance of the Board.
h3. OUR CREDENTIALS
Our Partners across the world have conducted numerous Board searches and enhanced the performance of many Boards through the resulting appointments. Examples include:
- Major UK based composite insurer: two Non-Executive Directors with specific functional backgrounds that were not represented on the Board previously.
- Major UK diversified industrial group: Chairman; Chairman of Audit Committee; Senior Independent Director
- CAC40 Global leader in Information Systems Consulting: Non-Executive Director
- Major French-based, international retail group: three Non-Executive Directors
- Fortune 100, International Consumer Products Company: two Board Members
- Fortune 100, Life Insurance Company: three Board Members
- Global Fortune 500, Publishing and Information Company: two Board Members
- Fortune Fastest-Growing Companies, On-Line Education: Board Member
- Fortune 500, Retailer: Board Member
- CAC40 Global leader in Information Systems Consulting: Board effectiveness evaluation every 3 years since 2008
- CAC40 French-based, Energy and Utilities global leader: Board effectiveness evaluation every year since 2003
h3. GLOBAL TALENT BANK
Uniquely among our competitors, we have created a bank of elite candidates from around the world who are either already experienced Board members or those who, in our judgement, are now ready to make a significant contribution to the Board of a substantial business.
To learn more about our range of Board services, or to discuss our Global Talent Bank, please contact: